Tuesday, August 7, 2012

English


Today I was called a grammar Nazi, which got me thinking about why I am a stickler about grammar and spelling. And I finally discovered that I want English to go back to being a beautiful language. Think about it, English used to be a graceful, thought-provoking language, for example, in almost all of Shakespeare's works (not just his plays, but his poems as well) the language flows, and smoothly transitions among ideas. 


"All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages." (As You Like It)



This one quote is a wonderful example of my point. Poetry notwithstanding, this is basically how the common man spoke in that era. Nowadays, this beauty is corrupted by a conglomeration of abbreviations, contractions, and ignorant people abusing the grammar of our language

I take a stand for English because if I don't, then no one will protect our language. I fear that eventually, English will devolve into pidgin; so please, for the love of English, stop killing our language!

No comments:

Post a Comment